Triathlon Distances – Your Quick Guide To What You Need To Know
Are you curious about triathlon distances? If the answer to any of the questions is yes, then you are in the right place. We will be discussing triathlon distances at length so you know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Will also touch on what you need to know and what it takes to become a good triathlete so you can get started on your quest.
What Is A Triathlon?
A triathlon is a competition that consists of three stages. The stages are:
- Bike racing
Most sporting events usually consist of only doing one of the activities but triathlon challenges your endurance and versatility by making you do all three.. This means that if you intend to participate in a triathlon, then you will have to train really hard and be very good at each of the stages.
The athlete that wins in a triathlon is the one who is able to complete the three stages in the shortest time possible.
Fun fact: Triathlon originated in France between 1920s and 1930s and used to be called ‘Les trois sports’
What Does It Take To Embark On Triathlon Distances?
- Dispel your fear: Fear is the primary limiting factor anyone can have. You first have to convince yourself that you survive these triathlon distances. If you are afraid of swimming or biking, you can get a trainer that will teach you how to overcome these fears.
- Sign up for a race: After you have gotten over your fear, the next thing is to have a goal in sight, and the best way to do this is to sign up for a race. Signing up for a race keeps you focused on your goal.
- Buy a comfortable triathlete gear: You should aim to buy gear that you will be comfortable while participating in a triathlon. You need to buy comfortable running shoes, swimming goggles, a bike and a helmet.
- Follow a training plan: You have to train and train a lot to be a successful triathlete. Your training plan should be your best friend but you also cannot overdo it or you risk an injury like a stress fracture.
- Improve Your Eating Habits: Your nutrition is a crucial part of your training. Try to find the eating plan that perfectly suits you. Also, ensure that you constantly remain hydrated because you will be at risk of dehydration during the race.
Triathlon distances usually depend on the country or the type of competition you are participating in.
Novice In New Zealand;
- Swimming- 300m
- Biking- 9km
- Running- 3km
Novice In Europe;
- Swimming- 400m
- Biking- 20km
- Running- 5km
Novice In Australia;
- Swimming- 300m
- Biking- 8km
- Running- 2km
- Swimming- 1.5km
- Biking- 40km
- Running- 10km
Triathlon training is a very intensive process, and you need to be committed to it to pull through it.
Here are the essential things to note:
Triathlon Swim Training
As we have stated earlier, you need first to overcome your fear of water. Also, if you are new to swimming, you need to get a coach either at your local swimming pool or a triathlon club. You need to practice sighting and drafting and how to deal with the coldness of the water before embarking on a triathlon.
Triathlon Bike Training
If you have a background in cycling, you may not encounter too much difficulty with the bike training. But if you are new to cycling, then you need to get a trainer who will teach you the ropes of triathlon cycling.
Triathlon Run Training
You need to start slowly and focus on covering a long distance without getting tired quickly. You also need to take build your core strength as it is a crucial aspect of your career as a triathlete.
Injury at Any of The Triathlon Distances
The biggest injury threat to triathlete is overuse injuries because the sport is consists of so much volume. Most people get overuse injuries just doing one of the three sports on their own. If you do get hurt, you want to see a sports medicine professional right away. The longer you wait to get help the worst the injury will get.
9INE POINT Health is a great place to start your search for the best in sports medicine. You can search for health care providers based on the type or even skill set. For example, if you want to find a local chiropractor that is also certified in Graston, you can find the best options 9INE POINT Health then makes it easy to compare these healthcare providers using the 9INE POINT Number.
KHO Health was acquired by was acquire by 9INE POINT in the summer of 2019 and is now referred to as 9INE POINT Health.